Joel Randal Sprott Shareholder
Joel Randal Sprott is a name partner and Shareholder with Sprott Newsom Quattlebaum Messenger. He has worked with the firm since 1989, focusing his practice on healthcare law. Mr. Sprott has practiced healthcare litigation for over 35 years, as a trial lawyer who has experience at every stage of litigation, from filing lawsuits through appeals.
Mr. Sprott is admitted to practice in all Texas state courts, as well as the United States District Courts for the Southern, Eastern, and Western Districts of Texas, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit. In addition to these admissions, he is one of only a very small percentage of Texas lawyers to qualify as Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization – an achievement he has maintained for over 30 years.
He graduated from Corpus Christi State University with a Bachelor of Business Administration in only three years and earned his law degree from University of Houston Law Center. Mr. Sprott has achieved and maintained the distinguished AV Preeminent Rating by Martindale-Hubbell and was been selected for inclusion in Texas Super Lawyers every year since 2012. He was also selected for inclusion in the Top 1% of Medical Malpractice Attorneys in America from 2019-2020 and has won industry accolades for his work with Fortress Insurance Company, OMSNIC Insurance Company, AAOMS National, DaVita, and more. He was named National Trial Attorney of the Year in 2005.
Mr. Sprott believes that keeping one’s word means everything to those on all sides of a case and therefore he seeks to conduct himself with the highest level of legal ethics in all matters. His cases have been covered by The Wall Street Journal, Fox News, New York Daily News, and more high profile publications. He is a member of the State Bar of Texas and qualified as an Advocate Level Member of the invitation-only trial lawyer group, the American Board of Trial Advocates.
- University of Houston Law Center, Juris Doctor, 1985
- Mock Trial Competition, Finalist
- Corpus Christi State University, Bachelor of Business Administration, 1981
Bar and Court Admissions
- Texas, 1986
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Western District of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 1991
- State Bar of Texas
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Advocate Level Member
- AV Preeminent Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- Texas Super Lawyer, 2012-2020
- National Attorney of the Year Award, Fortress Insurance Company, 2005
- Continuing Excellence Award, OMSNIC Insurance Company, 2002, 2004, 2008, 2014
- Defense Star, AAOMS National
- Outstanding Service, Fortress Insurance Company
- DaVita Partner of Choice, 2011
- Top 1% of Medical Malpractice Attorneys in America, 2019-2020
- Top Attorneys in Texas, 2014
- Top Lawyers in Houston, Houstonia Magazine, 2016